Monday, May 11, 2009

Texas wine experience: A Land of Limestone Ledges and Red Sandy Soil: Part 1

A Land of Limestone Ledges and Red Sandy Soil: Part 1

I sit here thinking about where the Texas wine experience began. The spring sun warms my face as I gaze out over freshly greened prominences to the north from a perch high on an eastward-pointing finger of the Edwards Plateau: My personal piece of Texas. If I let my mind override my eyes, I can “see” the defining moment presented before me. The initiation predates me as well as the past generations of people that call themselves Texans.

The Beginning: Eons ago its genesis was in a vast and desolate inland sea predating human consciousness; a wet and hostile place. At an unhurriedly, nearly immeasurable pace over millions of years, the shells of countless creatures were deposited. I see their vestigial remains in fossil records at my feet. They are often conjoined with red sandy minerals brought from estuarial flows from even older continental shores. From time unfathomable, the land of limestone ledges and red sandy soils were exuded from their murky depths by powerful forces into the light of the Texas sun as if looking for purpose.

More at: http://vintagetexas.com/blog/?p=790

No comments:

Post a Comment